Sponsor

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Should I get an MBA?

Should I go back to school and get an MBA?

If I had a nickel for every time I heard this question, I could probably raise enough capital to acquire Monster and CareerBuilder. To this question, I say, "Check your motives."

* Is there a specific MBA program you're interested in and is it aligned with a burgeoning market? Do you have interest in creating your own program (Sustainability in Transportation & Logistics, Marketing via Social Media, etc.)?

* Do you plan to look for synergies with other like-minded students and consider entrepreneurial opportunities and impactful real world projects?

* Do you plan on joining and leading student organizations and associations?

* Do you plan on getting to know your professors outside of the classroom, picking their brains, and leveraging their networks?

* Do you plan on being involved with the alumni network upon graduation?

If you answered "yes" to each of the aforementioned questions, then my answer is unfailingly, "YES! Go back to school and get an MBA." However, if you're going back to school because you can't find a job and your motive is simply to "get that piece of paper" and a "bump in salary", CHECK YOUR MOTIVES.

No comments:

Post a Comment