Sponsor

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Your 'Objective' probably stinks.

In all likelihood, you've written a poor cookie-cutter 'Objective' statement at the top of your resume. I'm not trying to be harsh, I'm just being a realist. Consider the following before-and-after examples:

Before: "Experienced Business Analyst looking to utilize my skills and abilities to enhance company operations, while being challenged in a dynamic environment and afforded the opportunity for advancement."

After: "The self-proclaimed "World's Best Business Analyst" is the perfect fit for the Sr. Business Analyst position at Corps Systems. On average, I deliver completed information systems 12 days ahead of schedule, $8,250 under budget, and earn a 98.2% end user satisfaction rating. I'm eager to parlay these results to Corps Systems."

Does your 'Objective' look like my 'Before' example (above)? If so, humor me (and every prospective HR person who'll read it), and change it NOW. If you have trouble identifying success metrics from your own experience, you'd better start paying closer attention to your results going forward. The most important take-away here is that you understand that the employer doesn't care about what you want in a job - especially in this economy! They want to know what you can bring to the table that will benefit them.

No comments:

Post a Comment