Sponsor

Friday, June 5, 2009

Inspiration going into the weekend...

This excerpt is from 'Working Girl' by Julie Z. Rosenberg, and exemplifies the same out-of-the-box thinking I promulgate. Enjoy!

When looking for my first job out of college, I followed the advice of a mentor who told me that advertising was a good place for smart English majors to start their career. I immediately decided to look for a job on Madison Avenue. This was in 1993. The job market was wretched that year, though I realized that plum jobs at top agencies were always hard to come by, I knew I'd have to be creative to get an advertising job without experience or connections.

I didn't go to the classifieds, rather, I started reading the advertising column in the business section of The New York Times. One day while perusing the industry notes, I noticed something beautiful. A job opportunity waiting to happen.

"John Follis is leaving Follis/DeVito/Verdi over 'philosophical differences' and is opening up his own shop."

Perfect. I figured that the renegade executive needed to staff up his new agency - pronto! I immediately called 411 (this was before information was readily accessible on the Internet) but his number was not yet listed. I was only able to get the former agency's name and so, by default, I wound up faxing my resume to the remaining DeVito/Verdi. Upon receiving my resume, the president called immediately. We set up an interview for the next day. I was hired within the week.
Wow. Follow Julie's lead.

No comments:

Post a Comment